I would actually choose these chocolaty nibbles of goodness over cake any day (and thats saying something!) Prefect to grab after a surf/ work out for a little yummy treat and protein re-fuel! Super quick and easy to make - you have to give them a go!
- 200g (1 cup) nuts - I use mixed nuts but you could use almonds on their own.
- 400g (2 cups) medjool dates or soak regular dates in warm water for 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (blends easiest when liquid)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder, I ground my own for these but have also made them with regular cocoa powder which its just as yummy.
- 2 ½ tablespoons nut butter
- A few drops of Vanilla
I tend to add a tbsp or two of chia and crushed flax seeds plus a little matcha powder in too for extra power! So feel free to add a few tbsp of
- Crush the nuts in a food processor until they resemble biscuit crumbs, add the dates (drained) coconut oil, vanilla and blend again.
- Add the nut butter and cacao and whizz it together.
- Roll tablespoon size blobs of the mix into balls (wet your hands if the mix is a little sticky
- You can roll the balls in a little extra cocoa or crushed nuts to stop them from sticking together
- Pop them in an air tight container and into the fridge after about an hour they’re good to go! You can also store them in the freezer if your not planning to eat them all ASAP, this also works well as they stay cool and defrost while your training so don't go too gooey!
Images taken on Olympus PENF