It seems that wherever I am in the world, what ever amazing, courageous girls I talk to they often manage to dream up some kind of flaw in them selves. I’ve met girls that have boob jobs that hate them, girls with my dream body that think they are too fat, girls with the cutest freckles that wish they could scrub them off, girls with the dreamiest of legs that hate how tall they are.
So a little into my story- I have an athletic figure. I’ve always been broader than most girls (and some guys) growing up. Its something that I’ve been self continuous of. I’ve had men grab my crotch in the street asking where my ‘meat and two veg are to match my shoulders’, working behind a bar I was called ‘Hench’ more times than I can remember and let’s not even start on the ‘waves are flatter then Lucy’s chest’ jokes. So as a teenager I’d avoid upper body workouts and vest tops where a definite no from me. However I came to realise that my body is the main tool of my job and that those shoulders get me through full days for surfing with a smile on their face. I’ve grown to love the fact that I my little boobs don’t get in the way and can happily joke about my body. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ve realised loving your body is all in your mind set.
Now I am in no way an expert on any of this. I am simply offering a few little things that I’ve noticed or that seemed to have helped me feel happier in my own skin and If I can give a hand full of you a little extra sass in your bikini or shorts this summer then I’m happy. So here goes…
- Dress to feel good! Whether its cute sun dresses (...my go to), those jeans that make your bum look great, a fabric that feels good against your skin, underwear that makes you feel sexy, or a big baggie jumper that you feel cosy and comfortable in. That extra little feel good can definitely add a spring to your step.
- Stop comparing your self or competing against other girls... Every ones bodies are unique. On that note lets all complement each other more, the little things you love about someone might be the thing that they worry about in them self.
-Use Social media to inspire you. Follow people that make you feel good or make you want to try something new / push your goals. Maybe a public figure with a similar build to you, but never someone that make you feel bad or is naturally unattainable (I’m talking boob/ nose jobs, removed ribs, lip fillers and skin that’s been airbrushes within an inch of its life). Same goes with who you surround your self with, spend more time with those people that make you happiest.
- Eat to nourish/ fuel your body, sleep well, find a little me time. Nothing makes me feel more energetic/ positive than eating well and feeling rested.
-Get out and about doing that sport or activity you love. Something that helps to keep you active, brings a little movement to your day and keeps that sparkle in your eyes.
- Go easy on yourself. DON’T talk to yourself in a way that you wouldn’t talk people around you.
- Be ready for good days and bad days... I’d be lying if I said I feel great all the time. There are definitely days I look in the mirror and feel a little glum. But there’s usually a little something you can find esteem In every day ...hey I may have tired eyes today but my hair looks goooooood.
- You can work your ass off to like what you see in the mirror or embrace your natural body. As long as your healthy, don’t feel like you have to do something because others do it. Set your self body goals IF you want to and of course keeping in mind that often images we see in media/ advertising might not be all that they appear.